My son was kind enough to pretend that the pasta bake I made tonight was yummy (it was actually gummy – got distracted and cooked it a minute too long! It was shot!), and I realized that there are good lies, and there are bad ones.
- That dress looks flattering.
- I like your haircut.
- Mi casa, su casa.
- The check’s in the mail!
- You sing like a bird. (Unspoken: This includes emus.)
- Ah, but on you, it’s a beauty mark!
- Dozen donuts, please. Not all for me!
- Leather pants and a feather boa? So trend!
- Oprah? On her own magazine cover for the millionth straight issue? Not self-indulgent at all!
- Mutton chops really are making a comeback lately, aren’t they?
- Your public awaits, Mr. Christie.