Pray Day

Today is the National Day of Prayer.  Do I pray?  Oh boy, do I.  So much so that I write for a prayer blog and have written prayers for websites such as Prayables and WorldPrayers.

Now, I’m not trying to be a Prayer-Party-Pooper, but I don’t like the idea of someone telling me when to pray.

For those of us inclined to pray, we’re already doing it.  It’s preaching to the choir.  The designation of a day that is set aside for prayer is unnecessary for people who pray and exclusionary to those who don’t.

Growing up here in central Jersey, we had a “moment of silence” to start the school day.  95% of the kids just daydreamed, and the other 5% who were praying during the moment of silence were praying already.

I appreciate the sentiment, but I didn’t need anybody’s Official Okay to pray.  I’m already on it.

Advertisements

6 Responses to Pray Day

  1. Debbie says:

    Your fresh take on things takes me in every time! 😀

  2. suebe says:

    But what about the people who do need the reminder? Those who aren’t secure in the faith and need to see that its okay to be who they are and still pray? Yes, I’m being (snort) Devil’s Advocate.
    –SueBE

    • rhcwilliams says:

      Dang, son! My friend SueBE snorted me on my own bloggie! Might have to throw down. 🙂

      I hear ya, girl, but I don’t think any of us who are “pray-ers” need a sanction from Big Brother. I really think there has to be a separation of church and state, so if the guv gets in my biz about something like this, I feel like they’re over-stepping.

      Ruth

  3. suebe2 says:

    Encouraging prayer isn’t the same thing as state mandated religion. Sorry. I’m much more likely to get worked up over people not having enough food, not having a safe place to live. If the government wants to encourage people to pray, so what? I don’t complain when they encourage people to be physically healthy either.
    –SueBE

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: